5 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Juice
Juicing is a big trend in the nutrition world at the moment, especially when we hear we should be munching through 8 or even 10 portions of fruit and veg a day. Could schlurping them be the secret to success?
Here are 5 things you probably didn’t know about juice:
• A glass of juice can contain as much sugar as a glass of Coke (and other fizzy drinks), yes it’s natural sugar (check the labels to ensure your not buying juice with added sugar) and you’ll get vitamins and minerals that you wouldn’t from a fizzy drink but it’ll be digested in the same way
• Only 1 x 150ml portion of 100% fruit juice will count as one of your 5 a day
• A normal size glass of orange juice contains over 200% of your vitamins C requirements. And what happens to all that excess? You’ll just wee it out!
• Juices are packed with vitamins and minerals and are rife with health claims but.. Beetroot juice contains clever compounds called nitrates which means it is scientifically proven to reduce blood pressure!
• 100% fruit juice from concentrate and fresh fruit juice have next to no nutritional differences (but a big one in price!)
Reference: Dietary nitrate provides sustained blood pressure lowering in hypertensive patients, Vikas Kapil, et al., Hypertension
mouth-watering to share?