Buckwheat Pancakes with Beetroot Hummus
Buckwheat flour is one of my storecardboard staples. I find it really handy to have to hand so that I can just whip up a batch of my favourite buckwheat pancakes whenever I feel like it (which is at least a couple of times a week as I love having them for breakfast). They're good sweet or savoury and a perfect healthy start to the day as they are super wholesome, a great source of protein and naturally gluten free.
I usually top them with some kind of hummus (my classic version with lots of lemon, pea and mint, edamame or my delicious beetroot hummus). You can make one big pancake I like have here or two/three smaller ones which can be stacked and layered with hummus.
- 1/2 cup of organic buckwheat flour (I like Doves Farm)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- Pink Himalayan salt or sea salt
- Black pepper
- Pinch cumin seeds
- Put the flour and other dry ingredients in a bowl, make a well in the middle and add the olive oil.
- Gradually pour in the water, mixing with a spoon or whisk, until you have a batter like consistency.
- Heat a small/pancake pan until very hot, brush with olive oil and pour in the batter. This should make a thick pancake.
- Lower the heat slightly and allow the flatbread to firm up before turning and browning the other side.
- 1 pack of organic vac packed beetroot
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 peeled garlic cloves
- 1-2 tbs tahini
- 1-2 tbs olive oil
- Handfull of toasted walnuts
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- Pink Himalayan sea & black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4 and then place your nuts on a baking tray to toast slightly (this should take aprox 5 minutes, keep your eye on them to make sure they don’t burn). Allow to cool.
- Drain the beetroots and then tip them into your blender.
- Add the garlic, lemon juice, tahini, cumin seeds, nuts and olive oil.
- Blitz until smooth (aprox 2 minutes)
- Season to taste
#Healthy Living #breakfast #Gluten free #health #clean eating #vegan #buckwheat #beetroot #eat clean #rebel recipes
mouth-watering to share?