Paleo Carrot Cake Muffins with Maple Buttercream
I blame South Africa for my giant muffin addiction. On a holiday there about 8 years ago we went to a coffee chain and there muffins were HUGE and they were all served with butter, cheese and jam. I was living the dream!
I've adapted this grain free, paleo megan muffin recipe from Detoxinista.com - I hope you love it as much as I do. The recipe makes 6 muffins, enjoy!
- 200g carrots ( roughly 3 carrots)
- 125 g coconut flour
- 125ml maple syrup
- 3 medjool dates
- 125ml melted coconut oil (roughly 5 tbsp scoops)
- 1 tbsp cinnmon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 8 medium/large eggs (use 9 if using small)
- 4 tbsp raisins - optional
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 60g/3 tbsp coconut oil
- 50g almonds
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Blend the coconut oil, eggs, maple syrup, lemon juice, vanilla until fully combined and slightly fluffy.
- Add in the coconut flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, bicarbonate, and blend until smooth. (Don't worry if it is a thick lumpy mixture)
- Add in the carrots and raisins and pulse or mix lightly until combined.
- Place in oven for about 30 -45 mins depending on size. Check regularly.
- Remove and allow to cool.
There are two ways you can make this. Either roughly chop almonds and then place with all other ingredient in small food processor and blend for about 30 seconds. Then blend in intervals of 5 seconds (over blending will cause it to curdle). Or, use ground almonds and blend in a small blender until smoothish. Please note this is not a smooth icing but a chunky (but delicious!) one.
- You could switch in organic butter instead of coconut oil.
- Pecan would also be tasty instead of the almond in the buttercream.
- You can't substitute the coconut flour with any other flour I am afraid.
- Depending on the coconut flour you use your final bake may be more lumpy and cracked than standard muffins - this depends on brand of coconut flour and how absorbent it is.
mouth-watering to share?