British Food Fortnight: Kale, Dill & Ricotta Pie
In honour of British Food Fortnight I wanted to share with you my recipe for a delicious and healthy Kale, Dill & Ricotta Pie, which celebrates the popular British leafy green - kale! This is a yummy way to get your greens in and it is so easy to make, too.
(4 to 6 serves)
- 5 eggs
- 250 grams ricotta cheese (just over a cup)
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
- 100 grams kale leaves (about 3 firmly packed cups)
- 1 bunch dill (small, about 15-20 grams)
- 2 tsp olive oil for greasing the pie dish
- salt and pepper to season
- 1-2 tomatoes (optional, to decorate)
- Preheat oven to 190 C and grease a pie dish (or alternatively, a cake tin, 8-9 inches diameter will work well) with the 2 tsp of olive oil.
- Lightly blanch your kale leaves. I do this using the following proces - (i) pop your kettle on to boil; (ii) take the kale leaves and slice or tear into thin, smallish pieces; (iii) place leaves in a colander over the sink; (iv) pour over the hot water so the leaves wilt. Leave the kale aside to cool while you continue to prep the pie.
- Whisk together the eggs and ricotta in a large bowl, and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Take your kale and squeeze out any remaining water. Add to the egg-ricotta mix. Trim any thick woody stalks off the dill, roughly chop (tip: kitchen scissors) and add the dill and also the parmesan in too.
- Combine everything so you have a nice even mixture, then scoop it all in to your greased pie dish and smooth out the top. If you're using it, slice the tomato thinly and gently press into top of the pie.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until the centre of the pie feels firm to touch and and edges are browning. Remove, allow to cool for 15 minutes and then slice and serve. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
This recipe originally appeared on my website at: http://nourisheveryday.com/recipe/kale-dill-and-ricotta-pie/
mouth-watering to share?