British Blackberry and Apple Crumble with Coconut Cream
Growing up in the Kent countryside the passing seasons were marked by the ripening and picking of various fruits ready to be transformed into creamy purees, gelatinous jams, bubbling crumbles or simply eaten by the roadside. So, when I reflect on the best of British my mind immediately skips to fruit, and berries in particular.
Be it Gooseberries in June or Strawberries in August, trundling out with my Grandparents and siblings to forage for lush, juicy berries remains one of my happiest childhood memories. In honour of the season I’ve based my recipe on October’s finest: British Blackberries. Not only do fruits taste so much better in season, it's also a much cheaper way of preparing fresh and healthy meals. This recipe is refined sugar-free and completely delicious!
British Blackberry & Apple Crumble
- For the topping
- 100g Porridge Oats
- 25g Coconut Flour or Ground Almonds
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Coconut sugar for sprinkling
For the filling:
- 400g Blackberries
- 4 Red Apples
- Handful Sultanas
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Coconut Cream
- 400ml coconut milk for serving – chilled overnight
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C. Peel and core your apples and chop into slices before placing into a saucepan with your British blackberries, cinnamon, and sultanas, covering with a small amount of boiling water. Cover and simmer until the apples are softened, approximately 10-12 mins depending on how chunky you like your fruit.
- Whilst your fruit is softening, pop your oats, coconut flour (or almonds) and cinnamon into a food processor and pulse 3-4 times until you have a traditional crumble-like consistency. Mix in your melted coconut oil and maple syrup, combining until you’ve coated all of your oat mixture with the liquid
- Transfer your softened fruit into an ovenproof dish and top with your oaty, maple crumble topping. Sprinkle with a little coconut sugar and place on the middle shelf of your pre-heated oven for 30 mins or until browned on top.
- I’ve been serving with a coconut ‘cream,’ which works wonderfully with the sharpness of the Blackberries. Simply empty your tin of coconut milk into a bowl and stir before covering and leaving overnight, ready to scoop onto your piping hot crumble.
The perfect twist on the classic crumble and cream! Enjoy!
#Food & Drink #dessert #blackberries #Recipes & Meal Ideas #crumble #sugarfree #pudding #healthylifestyle #british foodfortnight #bestofbritish
mouth-watering to share?