Apple Chai-Spiced Baked Oats
When autumn arrives I gradually move away from smoothies and go for something a little cosier for my morning meal. This Baked Oats recipe is as cozy as it gets and one of my favourite ways to use seasonal British apples! With lots of sweet, warming spices - ginger, cinnamon, cardamom...etc., chunks of juicy apple, oats and nuts, it's like biting into a soft, spiced cookie.
Serve yourself a big scoop and top with a dollop of my Vanilla Bean Coconut Whipped Cream, Vanilla Bean Cashew Cream or just some non-dairy yogurt.
These Apple Chai-Spiced Baked Oats reheat wonderfully, so if you’re not sharing it will see you through for a few days’ breakfasts.
- 3 Small/medium eating apples
- 1 Cup (heaped) Rolled oats (GF if necessary)
- 1/3 Cup Roughly chopped walnuts
- 3/4 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- Grating of fresh nutmeg
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp Coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp Ground flax + 3Tbsp water
For the Chai-spiced Milk:
- 1 Cup Almond milk
- 2" Fresh ginger, sliced
- 1/4 tsp Whole black peppercorns
- 1 Star anise
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom pods (4-5)
- 1/4 tsp Whole cloves
- 1/4 Cup Coconut sugar
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F and lightly oil an oven-proof dish with coconut oil.
- For the chai-spiced milk, combine the spices, milk and coconut sugar in a small pan and bring to boil. Remove from the heat and allow to steep for 10 minutes. Strain and set aside.
- Wash and chop two of the apples into chunks and mix with the oats, half the walnuts, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg, in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the spiced milk, vanilla, coconut oil, flax and water.
- Spread the oat-apple mixture into the prepared dish and pour the milk mixture evenly over the top.
- Thinly slice the remaining apple and place on top. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon and the remaining walnuts.Bake for 25-30 minutes.Serve warm with coconut/cashew cream or non-dairy yoghurt.
NOTES: This can be stored in the fridge or freezer and reheated.
#Food & Drink #breakfast #Gluten free #healthy #apples #vegan #dairy-free #Recipes & Meal Ideas #oats #easyrecipes
mouth-watering to share?