This is a dish orginated in Sicily and typically uses ricotta salata (salted ricotta), a harder alternative of the ricotta you will find in supermakets. This type of ricotta can be shaved or grated over salads and pastas, but you can use the normal ricotta instead of ricotta salata. I love every single ingredient in this recipe and sometimes cook extra slices of aubergines to snack on. Buon appetitio!
2 large aubergines
400g rigatoni (or spaghetti)
2 cans of plumed tomatoes
90g grated ricotta salata cheese (or normal ricotta)
1 mozzarella ball (optional)
Extra virgin olive oil
Frying oil for the aubergines
Freshly ground black pepper
Start by finely slicing the aubergines and spread them out in a colander. Sprinkle with salt and leave for 30 minutes to extract the bitter juices. Rinse the aubergine and pat dry.
Whilst you’re waiting on the aubergines to extract the bitter juices, you can start preparing the sauce by pouring a glug of extra virgin oil in a pan with 2 crushes cloves of garlic and cook on low heat. Once the garlic has turned a golden colour, empty both cans of plumbed tomatoes and slightly crush them (add some water in a can and throw in the sauce if you think it needs it). Shred about 5 basil leaves and season the sauce. Leave to cook on medium heat for 15 minutes and set-aside.
Now lets fry the aubergines in a large pan. Once you’ve fried them all you can add them to the sauce and let everything rest.
Boil a pot of salted water and throw in the pasta. Follow cooking instructions on the pack. Once the pasta is al dente transfer it in the pan with the sauce and mix with the ricotta salata, diced mozzarella and let everything melt. Garnish with a few torn basil leaves and grated cheese on top.
I was born in Italy, Cassino to be more precise, a comune in the Province of Frosinone at the southern end of the Lazio region, but I was brought up in sunny Edinburgh so I’m practically Scottish and proud!
Apart from living for food, I also live for fitness and like to hit the gym at least 5 times a week to burn off the pasta and parmigiana! It's important to keep active. When I turn 56, I would love to be able to pull the stunts Madonna can pull - including falling off a stage and still carry on.
In our culture Sunday is the day where the family comes together and bonds over food. When I was young I would help my father prep lunch, which developed my passion for food. He trained me in the art of being a sous chef and taught me the importance of organisation. As I got older I started experimenting with the different flavours and now, I’m the one who cooks for my parents when I can.
The Food Explorers Club (FEC) is a membership club operated by Yumbles Media Ltd and gives all members great benefits when shopping on Yumbles.com.
- Member benefits: we are continuously looking to improve benefits to FEC members and as a result, the benefits offered might change from time to time. We will always make an up-to-date list of benefits available to everyone through Yumbles.com. At the time of writing benefits include free delivery on 100s of products and exclusive discounts.
- Billing: due to the really low monthly membership price and the nature of the benefits, FEC subscription is billed and paid yearly. This enables us to plan ahead and ensure that we can offer the best range of benefits available to all members. The membership fee will be automatically charged to your card every 12 months.
a. Within the first 25 days: you can cancel your FEC membership during the first month without paying anything, assuming you have not already taken advantage of any FEC benefits like free or discounted shipping, FEC discounts etc. If you have saved as a result of your FEC membership, then the savings will have to be paid back to Yumbles by charging your card on file. No membership fees will be paid.
b. After the first 25 days: If you have already paid for the first year, you can still cancel your membership but a membership fee will be due for every full of partial month that have passed and any savings you made will have to be paid back. A cancellation fee of £5 will also have to be paid that goes towards covering the manual effort needed to process refunds. If you wish to simply not renew your membership for the next year, no cancellation fee will be due.
- Renewal: If you don't cancel your membership, your membership will automatically renew for the next year and your card will be charged. Please make sure to cancel your membership from your Yumbles account or notify us if you wish to cancel as reminders will not be sent out.
- Membership price changes and other changes: from time to time we might review the membership pricing. We will always notify you of any changes in pricing and you will always have the option of cancelling. We will also notify you about any other major changes to the plan that might be made from time to time. We reserve the right to refuse or cancel any memberships at our discretion.
Subscribe and Save is a great way to receive your favourite products on a regular basis, without the hassle of re-ordering, and get a 10% discount over the regular price*.
Creating a subscription is dead-easy and you can cancel your subscription or decide to skip a month online any time of the day. Subscriptions can be cancelled as long as at least 2 weeks pass from the dispatch date of your first order - this is to give you the chance to taste the products before deciding and to ensure that the discount is only enjoyed by those that are genuinely intending on receiving a product on a regular basis.
We're sure you'll agree that this is a good way of not having to require a minimum number of orders, which would be less flexible - we understand that at times, you might decide that a product is not for you once you've tried it. If you decide that you no longer want to receive a product on a regular basis, please make sure to cancel before the next renewal day; once your card is charged the product will be on its way to you and any cancellation will come into effect from the next cycle.
* Occasionally, food makers might have to make small changes to their product prices for various reasons. You will always be charged the current price of the product, whether it's a bit lower or higher than the price on the day you first subscribed.
Cookies are disabled in your browser. Please enable cookies to create your basket.
To ensure that your food arrives as fresh as possible, you can schedule your order to be delivered closer to the date you need it by.
At checkout you will be able to choose between having your orders delivered ASAP or for a later date. It's as simple as that!
Note: all items from a seller are dispatched together in one delivery but you can select orders from different sellers to arrive at different times should you wish to do so.
If you really need something to be with you for a set date, we strongly recommend that you schedule it to arrive at least 1-2 days early. This ensures that even if there are any delays due to issues with delivery companies or other reasons, you can still receive your order in time.
At busy periods (e.g. Christmas) we recommend allowing a few more days as things do tend to get very hectic and more unpredictable for delivery companies.