Healthy Chocolate & Beetroot Cakes
In case you haven’t heard, this week (12th - 18th October 2015) it’s National Chocolate Week, hooray! As if we need an excuse to indulge in the sweet, satisfying treat… Well, you’ll be pleased to know that this brownie recipe is not only super tasty, but super healthy too! Made from clean ingredients, beetroot and cacao, celebrate this week the enjoyable but innocent way.
- 1 cup buckwheat flour¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup cacao powder (I used Kaizen Living)
- 2 scoops PhD Nutrition Chocolate diet whey protein powder
- ⅓ cup natural sweetener (I used Truvia stevia)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 300g vacuum-packed cooked beetroot, drained
- 2 eggs
- 100ml melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the cacao drizzle: 2 tbsp honey, 2 tbsp cacao powder, dash of water
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. You can use a muffin tin for 12 cakes (silicone, if possible!) or cute little square or round muffin cases (see photo) - lightly grease beforehand.
- Mix together the buckwheat flour, coconut flour, cacao powder, chocolate protein powder, sweetener and baking powder together in a large bowl.
- In a blender, whizz up the beetroot, eggs, coconut oil and vanilla extract until super smooth.
- Pour this into the dry ingredients and gently fold in, mixing well until you have a silky, thick batter. Spoon this into your muffin tins or cases, filling about two-thirds full and smoothing out the top. Bake for about 20 minutes until golden, risen and brown.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the honey and cacao powder, and add a dash of water to reach the right consistency to drizzle over your cakes. Now you can enjoy!
mouth-watering to share?