Baked Beans (Rustic & Healthy Comfort Food)
We are huge fans of beans on toast/jacket potato so we wanted to come up with a healthy rustic alternative. This recipe is full of fibre and is vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free but if you want to bulk the dish up then feel free to add some chicken or meat of your choice.
This recipe makes about 4-5 servings.
- 400g x Can of butter beans
- 400g x Can of cannellini beans
- 500g x Passata
- 2 x Tbsp of sundried tomato paste (you can buy this in supermarkets or make it yourself. To make it yourself get a jar of sundried tomatoes that have been in oil, drain the oil and pop a tbsp of the tomatoes into a blender then blend!)
- 100 x ml Water
- 1 x Levelled Tsp smoked paprika
- 1 x levelled Tsp bouillon powder
- 1 x Levelled Tsp balsamic vinegar (use a good quality one)
- 1.5 Tbsp maple syrup
- Generous pinch of Himalayan salt and pepper
1) Pop all the ingredients (EXCEPT the butter beans and cannellini beans) into a heavy large pan and bring to the boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and allow to bubble away for about 20 minutes, mixing occasionally.
2) Then drain and wash the beans and add both cans to the tomato sauce and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
3) They are now ready to eat so enjoy on a slice of toast or poured on top of a sweet potato with a side of salad leaves.
mouth-watering to share?