Immune-Boosting Protein Zoats
I’m obsessed with two things at the moment: anything to do with oats (porridge, overnight oats, granola - you name it) and turmeric. As we’re now well into autumn, this really is the prime time to incorporate both of these powerhouses into your diet.
Oats offer plenty of complex carbs and fibre and helping to lower cholesterol, while turmeric, a bright yellow spice, is a powerful medicine that has long being used as an anti-inflammatory agent and to treat a whole host of illnesses. Coupled with nutrient-rich ginger and the blood sugar regulating properties of cinnamon, this dish is bursting with goodness.
It might sound odd adding grated courgette into this recipe, but trust me - it works amazingly, bulking out the dish while adding nutrient without the calories. Teamed up with figs, pomegranate and pumpkin seeds, you really couldn’t get a much healthier breakfast option to keep you warm and full of energy all morning!
- ½ cup rolled oats (I used Mornflake)
- 1 cup grated courgette
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup almond milk (hazelnut or coconut milk work well too)
- Dash of vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp each of turmeric, ginger and cinnamon
- 1 scoop PhD Nutrition Vanilla diet whey protein
To serve: Fresh figs, pomegranate, pumpkin seeds
This really is super easy to make and looks and tastes incredible!
- Simply place the oats, grated courgette in a small pan with the water and your chosen milk. Stir in the turmeric, ginger, cinnamon and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Bring to a high heat then simmer for about 5-10 minutes, until the oats and courgette have softened and absorbed most of the liquid.
- Remove from the heat, leave to cool for a few minutes then stir in the hemp seeds and protein powder. Serve in a large bowl and sprinkle over your chosen topping: I went for halved fresh figs, pomegranate and pumpkin seeds - a wonderful and colourful combination!
#Healthy Living #Health & Wellbeing #turmeric #protein #autumn #porridge #zoats #superhealthy
mouth-watering to share?