Roasted Beetroot Winter Salad
A winter salad can be just as glorious as a summer one. This roasted beetroot salad is seasonal, refreshing and earthy with fresh salad leaves and a simple mint and lemon dressing. Any cheese, or additional protein can replace the feta.
Beetroots are a delicious and versatile vegetable - they can be roasted, blended or juiced, are low in fat and full of vitamins and minerals; infact the ultimate superfood with exceptional nutritional value. Interestingly, beetroot can also be white or golden! Don't forget to use the leaves as they're packed with iron and vitamins A and C - cook in exactly the same way as spinach.
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
- 400g fresh beetroot, scrubbed
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 400g baby new potatoes, halved
- 125g feta cheese
- 1 bag of mixed salad leaves
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp chopped mint leaves
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 190C, gas mark 5. Add the beetroot to a roasting tin with 1 tbsp of oil, season with pepper and roast for 15 minutes. Then put the potatoes, alongside, stir into the oil and continue to roast for 30 minutes. Once cooked, leave to cool slightly.
- Peel the beetroot and cut into wedges. In a bowl, mix through the beetroot, potatoes, feta and salad leaves.
- Mix the remaining oil, lemon juice and mint together to make a dressing. Drizzle over the salad and scatter over the pumpkin seeds. Serve alongside soup or your favourite crusty bread.
mouth-watering to share?