Perfect Cranberry Sauce
Cranberry sauce is a must on Christmas day, there's no denying it. If you usually buy a jar, then ditch the supermarket stuff this year and make your own - you'll never go back! It's extremely easy to make and doesn't require many ingredients you wouldn't already have, because we all have white wine hanging around the house right? Not only does using white wine instead of water add to the flavour, but it prevents it from becoming too sweet and jam-like. A sweet, yet tangy favourite that everyone can enjoy with their Christmas meal, even vegans and celiacs.
- 250g Fresh or Frozen Cranberries
- Clementine Juice (freshly squeezed from one clementine)
- 100ml White Wine
- 6 Table Spoons of Port
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- Pour the cranberries into a pan with the caster sugar, white wine, clementine juice and port (you may need to increase simmering time if you're using frozen cranberries)
- Simmer over a low heat for about ten minutes; until the sugar has dissolved and the cranberries are soft.
- Increase the heat and cook until the cranberries burst.
- Remove from the hob and stir the mixture until some of the cranberries are broken up.
- Let it cool slightly before serving
If you want an alcohol-free version of this sauce then simply replace the white wine with orange juice, it still adds plenty of flavour and is slightly more child-friendly. Also you'll need to scrap the port, sadly enough.
#Food & Drink #recipe #Special occasions & entertaining #food #christmas #cranberry
mouth-watering to share?