Festive Gingerbread Cupcakes
Is there any flavour more suited to this time of year than ginger? Seriously, there’s something about that sweet spicy taste that makes me feel all festive inside. So when I got the urge to bake last weekend, gingerbread cupcakes were the obvious choice.
Here’s the super simple recipe to my gingerbread cupcakes that are the perfect treat on a chilly winters day...
For the cupcakes:
- 150g unsalted butter
- 150g soft brown sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 150g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 and a half tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tbsp milk
For the buttercream topping:
- 200g unsalted butter
- 50g soft brown sugar
- 3 tbsp milk
- 200g icing sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180C and line a muffin tin with 12 cases (pretty gold ones are optional)
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and soft brown sugar; if your butter isn’t quite soft enough, beat gently with a wooden spoon before using a handheld electric whisk
- Once creamed, sift together in a separate bowl, the self-raising flour and the spices
- One by one, mix the eggs into the butter and sugar mix alternating with the flour and spice mix (this will ensure it doesn’t curdle)
- Once all mixed together, stir in 1tbsp of milk
- Separate the delicious cake batter into the cupcake cases; don’t fill each too much as the self-raising flour means the mixture will, well, raise in the oven
- Pop in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.
Whilst the cakes are baking, move on to the buttercream topping.
- To start, place 50g of the butter in a pan along with the soft brown sugar and gently heat on the stove until melted
- Then without boiling the mixture, add 2tbsp of milk and stir until you have a glossy, toffee-looking sauce. Set aside to cool
- In another large bowl, beat the butter until smooth and then sift in the icing sugar, stirring regularly
- Add the cooled-down toffee sauce and mix well before finally adding that last bit of milk
Ensure the cakes are completely cool before piping the buttercream on to the top and, if you’d like, sprinkle each cake with some gold shimmer sugar.
#Food & Drink #ginger #baking #Special occasions & entertaining #christmas baking #cupcakes
mouth-watering to share?