Salted Caramel Cupcakes
These salted caramel cupcakes are the perfect festive treat. Easy to make cupcakes with a caramel treat nested inside, they'll go down a treat at parties!
- For the cupcakes:
- 210g self raising flour (I used Doves Farm Wheat Free)
- Pinch of salt
- 85g unsalted butter
- 85g brown sugar
- 60g granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 120ml of milk
For salted caramel sauce:
- 225g granulated sugar
- 71g unsalted butter
- 2 pinches of sea salt
- 115ml double cream
For the buttercream:
- 150g unsalted butter
- 200g icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons double cream
- Add your salt to your flour and sit to one side. Now cream your butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar together for the cupcakes.
- Add one egg at a time, making sure it’s properly mixed in. At this stage also add your vanilla extract.
- Now you want to alternate adding your flour and milk, making sure that there are no lumps in the mixture. You’ll end up with a smooth looking cake batter.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees and line a cupcake tray with enough room for 12. Add your mixture evenly to each case and pop in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Keep an eye on them, as when they turn light golden brown they’re done.
- Pop your cupcakes onto a cooling rack after leaving them on the side for 10 minutes. Now it’s time to make the salted caramel sauce.
- Heat your granulated sugar over a medium heat whilst stirring until melted and light brown. Add your butter and continue to stir. Once this has all melted in, take the pan off the heat and add in your salt. Stir it in, and then add the cream. Once all mixed, leave to cool properly before piping.
- Whilst the sauce cools, make your buttercream by adding icing sugar to room temperature butter. Once they have fully combined, turn your mixer up a notch and add vanilla extract and cream.
- Cut small holes out of the top of each cupcake and fill with the cooled salted caramel. Pipe buttercream over the top and decorate how you wish.
Voila! I hope you enjoy these as much as I did.
mouth-watering to share?