Start Walking (more) this Summer
Walking is such a good habit to have and is so easy to start in summer; longer days, better weather, beautiful scenery. By creating this habit, you can boost your health and now is the best time to start.
- Walking (for at least 10 minutes) daily can, over the course of your lifetime, reduce the risk of a heart attack by almost a third and can reduce the risk of diabetes by almost 90%. It increases circulation and lowers blood pressure.
- Research says it leads to a longer life. People who exercised in their 50s and 60s were less likely to die over the next 8 years.
- Walking makes you feel better. It is proven that people who walked more were in a better mood that those who walked less.
- It improves your joints since it oxygenates and adds more nutrients to the area.
- It slows mental decline and lowers Alzeheimer risk. Research says that men between the ages of 70 and 93 that walked had half the incidents of dementia and Alzeheimer desease.
- Walking 2,500 steps a day (approximately a mile) can burn 100 calories. 100 calories a day can lead to a 10 pound loss over the course of a year. To achieve this, simply take the stairs, park at the far end of the car park and walk whenever you are running errands.
- Remember that a lot of councils, parks and local woodlands can have walking trails and maps which can add a little variety to your regular walking routine.
Every step counts! Start now and by winter you'll really be feeling the difference.
mouth-watering to share?