Here's how to make Healthy Millionaires Shortbread
I know Millionaires Shortbread is usually laden with sugar, fat and calories. So in order to keep the flavour and reduce everything else, we have worked on this recipe to create a healthier version. One to curb the sugar cravings. One slice is the perfect bite to share with a hot chocolate for a mid afternoon treat!
For the base
- 200g ground almonds (can also be used with 120g of almond - depends how thick you want your base to be).
- 70g cashew nuts, blitzed to a crumb
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
For the date/prune caramel
- 200g dates (I didn't have enough so I made it with 110g of dates and 90g of prunes)
- 120ml boiling water
- 40g Maple syrup
For the chocolate topping
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp coconut butter
- 1 heaped tbsp cacao powder
1. First you need to make the date caramel, you need to use 100g of this for the shortbread base and the rest as the date caramel filling.
2. Place all the dates and cover with 100ml of boiling water. Leave for 10 minutes to soften and then tip into a food processor along with the Maple syrup.
3. Blitz until it’s very smooth.
4. In a new bowl place 100g of the date/prune caramel you have just made and add the rest of the base ingredients, ground almonds, ground cashew nuts and coconut oil.
5. Mix this all together and then tip it into a small baking tray or a small foil container. (I used a 8" x 8" foil container).
6. Press the base mixture so that it completely covers the tin, it should be about 1cm thick.
7. Now pour over the remaining date/prune caramel and place in the freezer for an hour to freeze completely.
8. 10 minutes before its ready to take out of the freezer make your chocolate toppings.
9. Place all the chocolate ingredients into a small saucepan and on the lowest possible heat gently swirl the ingredients together, just before the chocolate has completely melted turn the heat off.
10. Remove the base from the freezer and pour over the chocolate sauce making sure it completely covers the date/prune caramel.
11. Now pop it back in the freezer to harden.
12. Remove from the freezer and slice into small squares and enjoy with a cuppa chocolate for a mid afternoon snackeroo!
Don't forget to tag us in your creations @yumbles on Instagram
Want to read more recipes? Here you go
mouth-watering to share?