20 Cheats To A Guilt-Free Barbecue
Summer is here, which means it's time to bring out the trusty old barbecue again! If you're on a health kick or watching your weight, barbecues can be a danger zone. From sugar-laden cocktails to fatty meat, calorific lager to chips and dips, it's hard to resist! Fear not though - if you're the one hosting, it's easy to bring the calorie count down.
Here are 20 cheats to help you thrown a guilt-free barbecue:
- Use greek yogurt instead of sour cream: it has less calories but is packed with protein and healthy bacteria.
- Guacamole is a dip that tastes gorgeous, is really simple to make and is full of fibre and healthy fats.
- Not so keen on guacamole? A fruity salsa is the perfect alternative: healthy, spicy and fruity.
- Exchange chips for crudités: they’re healthy, taste great and add color to your table.
- Stop people from double-dipping by putting limited amounts of dip in individual ramekin bowls. They look much better than plastic tubs, too!
- Spice up your salad by adding seasonal fruit - everyone will want to try it!
- Making lettuce-free salad on hot days to avoid limp and unappealing leaves that no-one wants to eat.
- Add shavings of cheese to your salad to tempt people to eat the healthier options.
- Swap processed salad dressing for home-made vinaigrette, or buy a high quality artisan dressing made with no artificial nasties.
- Swap mayonnaise for herb vinegar to give your potato salad an original spicy twist.
- Add fresh herbs to your salad for an additional vitamin boost. They'll taste great too!
- Have coleslaw without the mayonnaise, it still tastes great!
- Baking a sweet potato and filling it with exciting peppers and other vegetables will make everyone forget about the coleslaw.
- Swap fatty burgers for lean-cut steaks.
- Try getting either sirloin or rump steaks, which are lower in fat and taste great. Tuna steak is another great option.
- Ban hot dogs! They're full of unhealthy, processed nastiness. Full stop.
- Swap red meat for marinaded chicken if you're watching your weight, as it's a lot lower in fat.
- Make prawn or vegetable kebabs - they're really easy to make, incredibly tasty and make a nice change from meat.
- Limit the amount of sugar you consume by opting for spirts and mixers rather than strong lager or wine. Even better, make your own cucumber or lemon water.
- Grilled fruit makes for a delicious low calorie pudding. Try sliced bananas and pineapple!
Keep these in mind and you’re guaranteed to enjoy a guilt-free barbecue. Have you got any tips or recipes for healthy and delicious summer food? Share below!
mouth-watering to share?