Shony, Apple and Blackberry Crumble
We love trying new and exciting flavour combinations. This Shony, Apple and Blackberry Crumble Recipe by Angus Bremner is no exception! Evie from Mara Seaweed was kind enough to share it with us recently, and it's become our new Sunday favourite. Not only does the Shony add delicious flavour, but essential nutrients too.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 50 mins
- 500g cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 250g blackberries
- 75g caster sugar
- 25g butter
- 100g plain wholemeal flour
- 75g porridge oats
- 2tsp Shony
- 100g soft dark brown sugar
- 75g cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1cm cubes
- 25g sunflower seeds
- 15g pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease an oven dish roughly 25cmx20cm.
- Put the apple, butter and sugar in a pan. Cook over a medium heat for 10 mins, stirring from time to time, until the sugar has dissolved and the fruit is just beginning to collapse.
- Stir in the blackberries and transfer the mixture to the oven dish and set aside.
- For the topping combine the flour, oats, Shony and sugar in a bowl.
- Add the butter and rub in lightly with fingertips until the mix resembles course crumbs.
- Using a pestle and mortar or a small processor, crush the seeds so they break down just a little. Stir into the crumble mixture.
- Spoon the crumble mixture over the filling. Bake for 35-40 mins until golden brown and bubbling.
- Leave to settle for about 10 mins, then serve with custard, cream or ice cream.
Have you tried any other unusual apple crumble variations? Let us know in the comments!
mouth-watering to share?