What to Do With: Beetroot
This vibrantly coloured vegetable is often associated with central and eastern European cooking. Although we love it over here in the UK, lots of us get stuck for ideas beyond eating pickled beetroot in salads. Which is a shame! Beetroot is a really delicious and versatile vegetable, with lots of health benefits too. It might not be the easiest of vegetables to prepare, but put in some effort and you will really reap the rewards.
Not only can we do an endless amount of things with the bright pink root of the beetroot, we can even eat the leaves. Beetroot greens are a rich source of vitamins, minerals and iron, which comes as no surprise when you learn that beetroot is in fact part of the spinach family.
Apart from tasting great, beetroot is also quite the superfood. Beetroot is thought to reduce the risk of heart diseases and strokes by lowering blood pressure, detoxifying the liver, improving digestion and relieving problems such as constipation. This is one handy vegetable!
But what to do with beetroot? If you're searching for inspiration, here are some ideas:
- Hummus: Cheap and easy to make, hummus is great for dipping and spreading and full of protein. Add some cooked beetroot into the food processor when making hummus to add some extra flavour, colour, fibre and vitamins
- Salsa: Finely chop cooked beetroot, onion, tomatoes, mint, chilli, lemon juice and olive oil for a vibrant, tasty salsa
- Chocolate: Because beetroot is a naturally occurring sugar, it’s sweet flavour goes exceptionally well with chocolate. Nigella Lawson's Beetroot Chocolate Cake is a must-try recipe, as far as I'm concerned!
- Juice: Try a beetroot smoothie with blueberries and strawberries for a healthy (and delicious) start to your day
- Soup: Popular in Russia, the traditional beetroot soup with vodka (Borcsht) is a big hit in our house. Once you try your own version, you will soon see why! Blend together cooked beetroot, onion, garlic, vegetable stock, a touch of balsamic vinegar and vodka for a truly delicious soup
One word of warning - be careful when handling beetroot, as it can really stain! This isn't a vegetable to be preparing using your best white shirt or before going out....unless purple hands are your thing. Have you tried any great beetroot recipes, or do you have suggestions to share? Let us know, by leaving a comment below.
mouth-watering to share?