Gluten Free Breakfast: Quinoa Protein Porridge
Quinoa is a superfood which is high in both protein and fibre-rich carbohydrate, yet low in fat and calories. It is slowly digested, which means it’s a healthier choice than the refined grains found in processed cereals and white bread. If you're looking for gluten free breakfast ideas, why not give this quinoa protein porridge a try? It's easy, delicious and packed with essential amino acids.
- 100g Quinoa
- 500ml Water
- Sugar/Sweetener to taste
I like to use any of the below (or all of them, if I'm feeling particularly hungry / in a decadent mood!)
- Fresh Fruit
- Natural Yoghurt
- Toasted Almonds, Walnuts or Pecans
- Chia Seeds
- Start by rinsing the quinoa under cold water. Mix the quinoa and water in a saucepan, then drain
- Heat on a medium setting - stir occasionally. Remove from the heat once the quinoa has completely softened and the grains have separated - this will usually take around 20 minutes
- Stir in a little sugar or natural sweetener. I use Palmyra Jaggery or a little maple syrup.
- Add your chosen toppings. Blueberries, almonds and cinnamon are a delicious combination and full of energising goodness!
Not heard of Palmyra Jaggery? This new hero on the natural sweetener market is very new to the UK. Originating in India, Palmyra Jaggery is the only plant-based source of the energising nutrient, vitamin B12 plus minerals such as iron and calcium. Wonderfully sweet, you only need to use a tiny amount to sweeten smoothies, hot drinks, cakes and porridge, about 50% less than you would use of sugar.
Let me know if you try this quinoa protein porridge - it's become a firm favourite in our house!
mouth-watering to share?