They say that necessity is the mother of creation and in the case of Ethicoco, it was. Well, the father…
Ethicoco was born out of dissatisfaction. My daughter suffers with nut and dairy allergies. Since she was a tiny baby, I have cooked from scratch, creating meals that suit her needs and are prepared with love. But when it came to Easter and Christmas it was all too easy to become disillusioned with the lack of high (or even medium!) quality chocolate and sweets available for her.
So one Easter, I decided to create my own. Nothing fancy, just some melted down dark chocolate, into a cheap egg mould and decorated hideously with sweeties. Artistically talented I am not, however this first step set me down the long road of discovering how chocolate is made and the fascinating ways I could do it myself from home.
Like many hobbyists, I was more than happy pottering about in my kitchen, combining ingredients and searching for those perfect flavours that other dairy free chocolates flatly failed to deliver on. No doubt about it, my ego told me I could do better than what was on the market, but I never expected to make it my livelihood. Then came unemployment. For a whole year I was out of work, and that steady spiral down of self esteem; wondering what on earth I could do to support myself and my child.
So out of necessity, after finally getting tired of weekly job rejections, in 2014, came Ethicoco.
It’s all in the name.
Ethicoco strives to be ethical. Nothing is perfect, but I think carefully about where I source our base ingredients and only buy from ethical traders that guarantee no child slavery and offer decent prices for their growers. GM free, no chemical nasties and 100% recyclable packaging.
I am creating chocolate for my daughter, why would I want other children or the environment to suffer for her enjoyment?
I want my daughter to be proud of what we have achieved together. Just our little team of two.
The Food Explorers Club (FEC) is a membership club operated by Yumbles Media Ltd and gives all members great benefits when shopping on Yumbles.com.
- Member benefits: we are continuously looking to improve benefits to FEC members and as a result, the benefits offered might change from time to time. We will always make an up-to-date list of benefits available to everyone through Yumbles.com. At the time of writing benefits include free delivery on 100s of products and exclusive discounts.
- Billing: due to the really low monthly membership price and the nature of the benefits, FEC subscription is billed and paid yearly. This enables us to plan ahead and ensure that we can offer the best range of benefits available to all members. The membership fee will be automatically charged to your card every 12 months.
a. Within the first 25 days: you can cancel your FEC membership during the first month without paying anything, assuming you have not already taken advantage of any FEC benefits like free or discounted shipping, FEC discounts etc. If you have saved as a result of your FEC membership, then the savings will have to be paid back to Yumbles by charging your card on file. No membership fees will be paid.
b. After the first 25 days: If you have already paid for the first year, you can still cancel your membership but a membership fee will be due for every full of partial month that have passed and any savings you made will have to be paid back. A cancellation fee of £5 will also have to be paid that goes towards covering the manual effort needed to process refunds. If you wish to simply not renew your membership for the next year, no cancellation fee will be due.
- Renewal: If you don't cancel your membership, your membership will automatically renew for the next year and your card will be charged. Please make sure to cancel your membership from your Yumbles account or notify us if you wish to cancel as reminders will not be sent out.
- Membership price changes and other changes: from time to time we might review the membership pricing. We will always notify you of any changes in pricing and you will always have the option of cancelling. We will also notify you about any other major changes to the plan that might be made from time to time. We reserve the right to refuse or cancel any memberships at our discretion.
Subscribe and Save is a great way to receive your favourite products on a regular basis, without the hassle of re-ordering, and get a 10% discount over the regular price*.
Creating a subscription is dead-easy and you can cancel your subscription or decide to skip a month online any time of the day. Subscriptions can be cancelled as long as at least 2 weeks pass from the dispatch date of your first order - this is to give you the chance to taste the products before deciding and to ensure that the discount is only enjoyed by those that are genuinely intending on receiving a product on a regular basis.
We're sure you'll agree that this is a good way of not having to require a minimum number of orders, which would be less flexible - we understand that at times, you might decide that a product is not for you once you've tried it. If you decide that you no longer want to receive a product on a regular basis, please make sure to cancel before the next renewal day; once your card is charged the product will be on its way to you and any cancellation will come into effect from the next cycle.
* Occasionally, food makers might have to make small changes to their product prices for various reasons. You will always be charged the current price of the product, whether it's a bit lower or higher than the price on the day you first subscribed.