Quinoa and Vegetable Pulao
This Quinoa and Vegetable Pulao is so easy to make, yet bursting with flavour and goodness. Perfect for those chilly January days when you want something simple and satisfying! Quinoa is a great source of protein for vegans and vegetarians, boasting all 8 amino acids. If you don't have Spice Drops, you can use fresh spices instead. And if you're balking at the idea of using frozen vegetables - don't. Freshly frozen vegetables are a great source of vitamins and fibre, making them a great standby for midweek meals.
- 250 g of quinoa
- 500 ml warm water
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 2 tbsps oil
- 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds
- 4 drops of Clove Spice Drops (or 1 clove)
- 3 drops of Cinnamon Spice Drops (or a pinch of dried cinnamon)
- 4 drops of Cardamom Spice Drops (or 2 cardamoms, crushed)
- 4 drops of Pepper Spice Drops (or 1 tsp of ground black pepper)
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger,
- 250 g mixed frozen vegetables (carrot, beans, cauliflower)
- 2 tbsps coriander leaves (optional) and salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a pan, preferably non-stick. Add the cumin seeds and once they start to crackle, add the chopped onions. If using fresh spices rather than spice drops, add these to the frying pan now too. Fry until the onion turns soft and then add the ginger and garlic. Sauté for 2 mins or until the aroma of fried garlic comes through.
- Add the vegetables along with the fresh coriander. Stir and leave covered for 4-5 mins until the vegetables are slightly cooked but still have a bit of a crunch.
- Stir in the quinoa into the pan. Add water, salt to taste and bring to boil. Then lower the heat to simmer and cover to cook for about 5 mins. Ensure heat is low to prevent the quinoa from sticking to the pan.
- Once the quinoa is fluffed up and cooked, add in all the Spice Drops®. Mix well to get an even blend of all the flavours. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot.
mouth-watering to share?