Kerala Style Fish Curry by Mallika Basu
This is one of my favourite fish recipes from the wonderful Mallika Basu. Great mix of flavours from the curry leaves and the tangy tamarind. One to definitely wow your dinner guests with!
- 6 small onions (I used shallots, about 500gm)
- 3 tsp garlic ginger paste
- 2 inches Spice Kitchen cinnamon stick
- 30 Spice Kitchen curry leaves (I love, love, love curry leaves)
- 1 tsp Spice Kitchen turmeric powder
- 1.5 tsp Spice Kitchen chilli powder
- 2 tsp tamarind paste
- 3 x 400 ml tins coconut milk (one with a high coconut content 60%+)
- 1kg monkfish tails, skinned and boned (you can also use sardines or mackerel)
- Half tsp Kasoori Methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- Salt to taste
Peel and roughly chop the onions. Soak the fenugreek leaves in a tablespoon of hot water. In a large wok or saucepan, bring the oil to heat on high. When it sizzles around a hot spoon, toss in the cinnamon stick, chopped onions and ginger garlic paste and sauté for 10 minutes until the onions are soft and golden.
Next, add the curry leaves, turmeric and chilli and sauté for another five minutes.
Then stir in the coconut milk, tamarind paste and fenugreek leaves (along with the water they are soaking in) and cook for about 10 minutes on a medium to low heat.
Meanwhile, cut the monkfish into large bite-sized cubes. When the time is up on the curry, drop the pieces in, cover and simmer for a couple of minutes until the fish turns opaque white and oil floats to the surface of the curry. Serve Kerala style Fish Curry immediately with steaming hot basmati rice.
You can make the sauce well in advance, freeze it for a month or store it in the fridge in an airtight container for up to day days, dropping the monkfish in just before you serve it.
You can find more recipes on Mallika Basu's website - look her up online (Twitter - @MallikaBasu_) and check out her Instagram feed for more delicious recipes and inspiration!
#Food & Drink #indian cooking #spice kitchen #recipe #spices #fish #curry #Recipes & Meal Ideas #indian
mouth-watering to share?