3 Simple Smoothies
Don't let complicated ingredients put you off getting involved in smoothie making!! Here are three recipes which use only 3 ingredients (with some ideas about extras if you want to jazz it up even more).
We always wizz these up using our trusty Nutribullets which we would definitely recommend investing in (especially as we make all sorts in there, including pancake mixes, hummus and many more!)
1. Green Smoothie
You’ve always got to get a green one in there! This isn’t too complicated, and isn’t as sweet as the others but we like it and it really does always give us a boost and keep us full as it is very low in natural sugars. This uses water as a base but you could also use coconut water.
- Large handful of spinach
- 1 x green apple
- 1 inch ginger (or more if you love it like us!)
- Optional extras: chia seeds, protein powder, spirulina or wheatgrass powder (if you really want it green and aren’t too screamish about the taste), banana or mango for a bit of added sweetness.
2. Tropical Yellow Smoothie
This one will make you feel like you should be on a beach…perfect for those with a sweet tooth who aren't as keen on green drinks. This uses water as a base as the yoghurt makes it creamy.
- 1/2-1 cup Pineapple
- 1 banana
- 3 tbsp yoghurt
- Optional extras: protein powder, maca powder (for an energy boost), and a sprinkling of turmeric for anti-inflammatory properties which are set off by the enzymes in the pineapple (this info is verified by Neil’s Yard).
3. Chocolate Milkshake (smoothie)
This can be heated up as an alternative to a hot chocolate, or just enjoyed as it is when you need that sweet pick-me-up
- 1 Banana
- 300-400 ml Almond Milk (depending on how thick you want it)
- 1 tsp Cacao Powder
- Optional extras: if you like it extra sweet then maple syrup goes really well, nut butter adds extra flavour and can make it more ‘nutella’ like, cinnamon goes well especially if you’re heating it up, and as we’ve mentioned in all of the above…protein powder goes well in this.
mouth-watering to share?