Raw & Vegan Coconut Caramel Slice
People say there’s no pleasure without pain and for a long time my sweet tooth gave evidence to that testament with chocolate and sugar being a daily fixture in my life. However as my journey as a yogi progressed, the evening gorge on chocolate somewhat lost it’s pleasure. It was as if the clean life I was cultivating through my dedicated practise of rising early, doing my Ayurvedic cleansing rituals, balancing and stretching and breathing a lot, was being unravelled throughout the day, resulting in the 7pm me lying horizontal on the sofa, with Hollyoaks on the box and some chocolatey treat to hand. Did the morning practise ever even happen?
It was this point I decided I needed to find a way to bring my yoga practise to my food. I could never lose the sweet treats, no way, l mean life’s about balance right… So no, instead it was ‘lets find a way of making these sweet treats clean, healthy and yogi loving’ and I have to say the recipe below is the perfect example of this. It’s stuffed with all things brain and body loving, coconut, dates, almonds, cocoa… But best of all this recipe truly is pleasure, pleasure and more pleasure, absolutely no pain in sight!
100g ground almonds
150g dessicated coconut
300g medjool dates
2 tbsp almond butter
1 vanilla pod or couple of drops of essence
100ml Coconut cream
1 pinch of salt
3 tbsp cocoa powder
6 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp maple syrup
For the base layer:
- Remove stones from dates
- Soak all dates in boiling water for 10 minutes
- Strain water and set aside half of the dates for the caramel layer. Place remaining dates in food processor with 1 tbsp of the almond butter. Pulse until forms a sticky paste
- Mix in the ground almonds and coconuts, pulsing until well combined
- Line a square or rectangle baking dish (2 inch deep 8w x 12L inch approx.) with cling film, then press the mixture into the dish, creating the first layer. Set aside in fridge
For the caramel layer:
- In a food processor pulse the coconut cream, 3 tbsp coconut oil, salt, vanilla and rest of the dates together until forms a thick creamy texture
- Pour over the top of the 1st layer. Place back in fridge.
For the cocoa layer:
- Melt rest of coconut oil and combine with 1 tbsp almond butter and the cocoa powder
- Add the maple syrup and mix together well
- Pour over the previous layer
- Refrigerate for a couple of hours before cutting into squares and devouring!
If you aren’t able to get hold of coconut cream and are using creamed coconut block, dissolve 50g of coconut block with 100ml of hot water. Store in fridge. Will keep for 3-4 days.
#Healthy Living #raw desserts #health #clean eating #vegetarian #vegan #healthy lifestyle #diet #Vegan #yoga #healthy recipes
mouth-watering to share?