Raw & Vegan Coconut Caramel Slice
People say there’s no pleasure without pain and for a long time my sweet tooth gave evidence to that testament with chocolate and sugar being a daily fixture in my life. However as my journey as a yogi progressed, the evening gorge on chocolate somewhat lost it’s pleasure. It was as if the clean life I was cultivating through my dedicated practise of rising early, doing my Ayurvedic cleansing rituals, balancing and stretching and breathing a lot, was being unravelled throughout the day, resulting in the 7pm me lying horizontal on the sofa, with Hollyoaks on the box and some chocolatey treat to hand. Did the morning practise ever even happen?
It was this point I decided I needed to find a way to bring my yoga practise to my food. I could never lose the sweet treats, no way, l mean life’s about balance right… So no, instead it was ‘lets find a way of making these sweet treats clean, healthy and yogi loving’ and I have to say the recipe below is the perfect example of this. It’s stuffed with all things brain and body loving, coconut, dates, almonds, cocoa… But best of all this recipe truly is pleasure, pleasure and more pleasure, absolutely no pain in sight!
100g ground almonds
150g dessicated coconut
200g dates (de-stoned and preferably medjool)
2 tbsp almond butter
1 vanilla pod or couple of drops of essence
50g Coconut cream (or creamed coconut block)
1 pinch of salt
3 tbsp cocoa powder
3 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp agave syrup
For the base layer:
- Soak all dates in boiling water for 10 minutes
- Strain water and set aside 9 of the dates for the caramel layer. Place remaining dates in food processor with 1 tbsp of the almond butter. Pulse until forms a sticky paste
- In a bowl mix the paste with the ground almonds and coconut
- Line a square or rectangle baking dish (2 inch deep approx.) with baking paper, then press the mixture into the dish, creating the first layer. Set aside
For the caramel layer:
- In a food processor pulse the coconut cream, salt, vanilla and 9 dates together until forms a thick creamy texture
- Pour over the top of the 1st layer
For the cocoa layer:
- Melt coconut oil and combine with 1 tbsp almond butter and the cocoa powder
- Add the agave syrup and mix together well
- Pour over the previous layer
- Refrigerate for a couple of hours before cutting into squares and devouring!
If you aren’t able to get hold of coconut cream and are using creamed coconut block, dissolve 50g of coconut block with 100ml of hot water. Store in fridge. Will keep for 3-4 days.
mouth-watering to share?