Chocolate Almond Decadence Smoothie
The name may sound like a naughty, sugar-filled treat to feel guilty about, but this Chocolate Almond Decadence Smoothie is in fact jam-packed with nutritious ingredients to satisfy your sweet tooth, whilst watching your waist!
Using a dairy-free alternative like almond milk can lower the calorie count and provide you with a great source of heart-healthy fats. Just be sure to buy the unsweetened varieties to avoid refined sugars. The coconut water in this recipe makes the smoothie easy to drink and it’s full of potassium too - a vital mineral for healthy hearts, brains and muscles.
I can’t take all the credit for this body-boosting smoothie recipe though. It’s adapted from one of my favourite books - Thrive Energy Cookbook by Brendan Brazier. I’ve added in a few of my own tried-and-tested ideas such as the banana and chia seeds, but feel free to chop and change the recipe yourself!
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 Medjool date, pitted
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 quarter of an avocado
- Half a cup of almond milk (unsweetened)
- Half a cup of coconut water
- Half a cup of ice cubes
- Half a chopped banana
- 1 tsp goji berries
- 1 tsp cocoa nibs
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- Blend all the ingredients except the goji berries, cacao nibs and chia seeds (these are best sprinkled on top at the end)
- Once all the ingredients have turned into a liquid, add the ice and blend on the a high speed until smooth. You may need to use a pulse setting to break down the ice.
- Pour into a glass and slowly stir in the chia seeds, then sprinkle the remaining ingredients on top and enjoy. If you’re feeling adventurous or trying to impress, lightly spread honey around the glass rim and press into dessicated coconut before pouring!
- You can always swap the almond milk for an other type of milk you prefer and take out the avocado if you would like it to be less creamy.
I hope you enjoy! Let me know if you decide to give this a try.
mouth-watering to share?