Gluten-free Carrot Cake
We recently added coconut flour to our product range so I have been spending some time over the past few weeks testing out gluten-free baked goodies. I have always been a cake fan and was concerned that going gluten-free would mean I could no longer enjoy my favourites. However, this recipe, using coconut flour tastes delicious and still delivers that moist texture you expect from a decent carrot cake.
You’ll notice this recipe uses a large number of eggs, this is because coconut flour is absorbent so additional moisture is required.
Ingredients for cake;
- 5 carrots
- ¾ cup of rawCo coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon for ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon for baking powder
- 1 teaspoon for salt
- 10 large eggs
- 12 medjool dates
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract or vanilla paste
- 1 cup of rawCo coconut oil
- ½ cup of walnuts to garnish
Ingredients for frosting;
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract or vanilla paste
- ½ cup of maple syrup or raw honey
- 450g of full fat cream cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Wash and peel the carrots then grate either with a manual grater or by using the grating function on a food processor.
- Sift the coconut flour, cinnamon, salt and baking powder in to a mixing bowl.
- In a food processor blend the eggs, vanilla, melted coconut oil and medjool dates [please make sure you pit the medjool dates beforehand!]
- Add in the sifted coconut flour, cinnamon, salt and baking powder and blend together with the wet ingredients.
- Stir the grated carrots in to the cake batter.
- Pour the batter in to two 9 inch greased [with coconut oil] cake tins.
- Place in the oven for 30-35mins. Check after 30mins with a tooth pick, if it comes out clean then the cakes are done.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. After approx. 20mins move to cooling rack to cool further.
- To make the frosting, blend the cream cheese, maple syrup / raw honey & vanilla.
- Once cakes are fully cooled, apply the frosting to top of both cakes [you may need to trim the top of one cake if it has risen significantly]. Stack the cakes on top of one another and sprinkle the top with the crushed walnuts.
Why not visit our Yumbles online shop where you will find coconut oil, coconut flour and coconut amino sauce!
mouth-watering to share?